Hearing set for New Salem man accused of shooting relative

Staff Writer
Published: 12/2/2021 9:00:10 AM
Modified: 12/2/2021 9:00:02 AM

NEW SALEM — The 69-year-old man facing seven charges after allegedly shooting a family member is due back in court for a dangerousness hearing on Friday.

Laurie Loisel, director of communication and outreach with the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, said the dangerousness hearing, to be held in Orange District Court, will determine if Richard Anderson of New Salem poses a substantial risk to the public if released on bail.

Anderson is being held without the right to bail after pleading not guilty in Orange District Court on Nov. 15 to assault and battery, possession of a firearm without a license to carry, possession of ammunition without a license to carry, carrying a loaded firearm without a license, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, to wit, a firearm.

The charges stem from a Nov. 14 incident. New Salem Police Chief Joseph Camden previously said Officer Zachary Warner was dispatched to a Neilson Road home on a report of an intentional shooting resulting in serious injuries. Warner responded to the residence and used de-escalation techniques to disarm Anderson and take him into custody before tending to the victim’s injuries. Camden said the victim is resting at home after being discharged from the hospital.

Loisel said the case is being prosecuting by Assistant District Attorney Danielle Cruz, and Anderson is represented by defense attorney Timothy Flynn.

Reach Domenic Poli at: dpoli@recorder.com or 413-772-0261, ext. 262.


E-Edition & Local Ads


Weather


athol forecast

Social Media




Athol Daily News

14 Hope Street,
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Telephone: (413) 772-0261

 

Copyright © 2021 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.