Pre-dawn blaze destroys Orange home while occupants working

  • A home at 5 Hillside Terrace, Orange, was destroyed in an early morning fire Thursday. One cat died.

Staff Writer
Published: 3/7/2019 1:11:02 PM

ORANGE –  A one-story home at 5 Hillside Terrace was destroyed in the early morning hours today. There were no injuries to people, but a pet cat died. Another cat survived.

Orange Fire Chief James Young said the building’s two occupants, both adults, work nights and were not home in the pre-dawn hours when the fire started. The fire was called in by a neighbor at 4:19 a.m.

The chief said the American Red Cross was on the scene at noon and is working with the occupants to make temporary living arrangements.

Young said the fire started in the area of the home’s chimney, where a wood stove was on. The fire was under control by roughly 7 a.m., and fire crews from about a half dozen departments – which included Athol – left the scene at about 9:30.


E-Edition & Local Ads


Weather



athol forecast

Social Media




Athol Daily News

PO Box 1000
225 Exchange Street
Athol, MA 01331
(978) 249-3535

 

Copyright © 2019 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.