Times Past

1991

The Athol-Orange Family Inn has purchased a larger building on East Main Street and Peggy Collins, director of the inn, anticipates moving in by April. In order to maintain the healthy and supportive atmosphere of the old inn, the new quarters will need renovation. To help achieve its goals in these tight economic times, a unique program has been developed aimed at getting the community involved. The inn’s Adopt-A-Room program offers local groups, clubs and organizations a chance to pitch in, physically as well as monetarily, by adopting a room and remodeling it. This is a hands-on approach — the inn hopes groups will provide the necessary materials, from the wallpaper and paint to the furniture and lamps, and the labor to put it all together.

Warwick Selectmen voted to support the highway department in posting and enforcing 10,000 pound weight limits on the town’s dirt roads. The motion exempts emergency fuel delivery vehicles and carries a $500 fine, first offense with no warnings. Road boss Ken Harwood said roads are being damaged by logging activities and expects a muddy season will completely destroy the roads unless action is taken to curb heavy equipment use. Roads targeted include Gale Road, White Road, Beach Hill, the outer end of Richmond Road, Flower Hill Road and Hastings Heights Road.

The 9 Ball In, located in the Aubuchon Plaza, Route 2A is celebrating its grand opening. The pool hall has 11 pool tables, video games, snack and soda machines and a CD jukebox. Richard Skiffington and his wife Linda are co-owners. He believes that the area really needed this and wants people to know that his establishment caters to all, including families.

Children at the Raymond and South Royalston schools were recently entertained with a drama puppet show titled The Haunted House, sponsored by The Royalston Academy.

Tamara L. Martin, daughter of David and Jean Martin, has been promoted to educational and cultural exchange specialist within the office of the general counsel’s exchange-visitor program at the U.S. Informational Agency in Washington, D.C. She served as staff assistant within the agency’s office of research since 1987.

Students in Gail Fleming’s afternoon kindergarten class at Ellen Bigelow School recently had the opportunity to meet the school’s mailman. Carrier Russ Clark explained his job. He accepted letters from students, and valentines for relatives and checked them for proper addresses.

1966

Rev. John L. Sawyer, Jr., pastor of First Baptist Church, arrived in Managua, Nicaragua, with a group of 20 men and five women who will assist in the construction of a Baptist church there. In his absence, the young people First Baptist Church will conduct the morning worship service.

A $4 million recreation and camping development has been proposed along 20 miles of the Connecticut River from Turners Falls northward to Vernon Dam in New Hampshire. Included in nine new recreation areas would be more than 500 picnic sites, 10 to 12 new ponds, and more than 100 miles of new trails through 30,000 forested acres. Overnight accommodations would include more than 200 individual camp sites and a 30-unit vacation cabin development. It is linked with a request that Western Massachusetts Electric Co. and two Connecticut power companies have made to the federal Power Commission to construct a pump-storage hydroelectric plant on Northfield Mountain. The plant would cost $70 million and have a million-kilowatt capacity.

The Marion E. Nason Unity Club was entertained by the Bell Ringers of The Singing Men’s Glee Club at its meeting in Universalist Church, Orange.

The annual father and son banquet of Western District, Monadnock Council Boy Scouts, was attended by 350 scouts, dads and guests in Liberty Hall. Norman Roberts was master of ceremonies. The braised beef dinner was catered by Bill Hachey. The program was a film on winter camping.

Need for public support to preserve and maintain the Athol Historical Society building on Main Street was announced by directors of the society. Since acquiring the old church and former town hall, more than $10,000 has been spent on restoration projects. Now directors feel the point has been reached where the society must seek further support of citizens and civic leaders to insure that the ancient landmark, with its museum of relics and historic items, will be preserved and continued as a project in which the community can take pride and which is worthy of our citizen’s heritage.

Orange Selectmen in their annual report express optimism for 1966. They say, “Orange had outstanding success in its war on eyesores with the removal of burned-out structures in North Orange and on High Street, with many other small eyesores removed.” They note the cooperation of the highway and fire departments in the project.

1941

Fish Park, long a summer recreational spot for Athol’s youngsters, has been transformed into a winter playground through the efforts of one woman. Miss Marion B. Newton of Pequoig Avenue noticed at the beginning of winter that the park was idle, and obtained permission from the park department to conduct winter activities there for children. She has created sliding trails, a ski jump and an ice skating rink.

Industrial executive of the New England Council, Raymond M. Hudson, spoke at the annual meeting of the Orange Chamber of Commerce. He told the group of more than 100 persons, “I warn you very strongly against using inducements to bring industry into Orange. That has been done so many times with so many unsatisfactory results. The best kind of industrial development of any community comes from within. Help encourage young industries. One of the small industries of today may be one of the big ones tomorrow.” He also said, “You could brighten up your community quite a bit, especially along Route 2. You don’t know when some industrial prospect is going to ride through your community and what impression it is going to leave with him.”

A decrease in crime in Orange last year over the preceding year is noted in the annual report of Police Chief Kenneth E. Smith. A total of 80 persons were arrested by members of the Orange department in 1940 compared with 137 in 1939. A total of 78 accidents were reported and investigated and 532 investigations conducted during the year.

Fleeing from Nazi conquered central Europe in fear of persecution because of their religious or political beliefs, more than 4,000 refugees a month — mostly Jewish — are now pouring into the United States with the hope of finding freedom as American citizens.

Athol Daily News

PO Box 1000
225 Exchange Street
Athol, MA 01331
Phone: (978) 249-3535

 

Comment Here